07 June 2012

Jubilee Extravaganza Day 1 - Field Day and Fin Fest

Since 2009, I've been lucky enough to live in London during some fairly exciting and historic events and the first weekend of June 2012 was certainly one of them.  While the world and the media set its eyes on Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee, I celebrated HRM's 60 years in the most British way possible...by doing everything BUT participate in the Jubilee.

Don't get me wrong, the boats, and Tom Jones and the processions are all very lovely, but you have to be crazy to sit through the hours of rain, hunger and anticipation just to see that - and I think most Londoners would agree.

For most of us, the Jubilee was celebrated from our homes, in a nearby pub, or even out of the UK. I however, spent the 4-day holiday weekend doing things that have come to define the British (although arguably more English) way of life for me.

Festivals - before moving to London, I rarely heard of music festivals. In Columbus, we had the free ComFest each year and that was the extent of my knowledge.  I mean I'd never even HEARD of Glastonbury.  Then I moved here and I really think there's no going back, I'm totally addicted to all things including music, in a field/park with lots of cider and at a fee.

With no Glastonbury on this year, I'm trying to find ways to replace this empty musical hole in my heart.  I started it with Camden Crawl in May and carried it on to Field Day in June. Field Day only lasts for one day so no camping required.  As I didn't take any photos, here are some tunes from the bands I did see that you should check out.









Franz Ferdinand apparently don't want us to embed their songs but here's a link.

And of course, the loves of my life, Spector:



I finished off Field Day and carried on with the festivities up North at The Finsbury just after midnight.  This place deserves a post of its own, and I will do eventually but I just want to say it is quickly becoming one of my favourite spots. They regularly have live music and on this weekend they put on their very own festival!






No clue who was playing when I came in, but they were a pretty awesome Turkish rock band.

This girl, DeLooze BLEW MY MIND. She's got a great voice, and I could really hear her + a DJ happening in the future.



Lazytalk reminded me of something circa late 90s - very entertaining bunch!

I'm not sure how it happened, but life lasted until at least 3.30am that day and I fit in two music festivals.  This, is how One celebrates a Jubilee in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment dude!

Swimming with this Mermaid