21 July 2011

Local North London

Tufnell Park, Archway Station, Holloway Road: this is part of what I call home.

A few weekends ago, I tackled the very long walk from Camden Town to Upper Hollway via the route the 134 bus takes North.  Surprisingly the walk actually didn't take as long as I had expected - and it happend to be one of the warmer nights of this lovely London 'summer' season.  I mentioned in an earlier post that I really like the area of North London where I live, because it boasts a sense of community with shops for the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker.  During this walk home, that realisation became even more apparent as I walked past joiners, and dry cleaners and places that sold everything you need for a home including the kitchen sink.

I find it really impressive that businesses like this can exist in a world of ASDAs, B&Qs and Primarks. Once this blog becomes a bit more established I'd like to interview the owners of these businesses and see how they feel about owning a local shop in a globalised city.  (It's good to write your goals out, right? That means you'll actually do them!)

If you are a local business owner in the Northern London area and you would like your business featured on this blog feel free to get in contact with me. I'm really interested to hear and share your stories!

2 comments:

  1. That's the joy of this bit of North London, and in fact one of the reasons I chose to live here. You can't beat independent shops, restaurants and cafes! And in and around Holloway is a great place to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! I love it over here - can't wait to get started :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment dude!

Swimming with this Mermaid